Monday 27 August 2018

MDF Houses - A Review




So in an attempt to increase my terrain for my Bolt Action games, I purchased a couple of mdf farmhouses from my local gaming shop - Board and Sword in Lancaster (UK).

No automatic alt text available.

So I should have done a step by step for this but I can confirm the models went together very smoothly and seemed quite snug. In fact the middle floor needed cutting down slightly to fit - especially once painted.

The design of the models is quite good - albeit with no detailing whatsoever as well as the windows in my opinion being a little low. I'm also not a fan of how the top of the chimney looks.

The models design means that you can do whatever you want with them - for me however I prefer the details that is found in Sarissa kits.My first attempt I gave a very simple paint job and only scored in some roof tiles.

This is decent enough for a quick throw down model, however I don't like the lack of window detailing - some simple square shaped pieces to fit round as window/door frames would have added a lot.

With the second model I decided I would put more effort into the paint work although I deliberately chose not to added window frames or any additions to show what could be done with the kit as is.

Again scoring tiles into the roof, I also decided to make it look like the rendering was chipping away and so chose areas to score to represent brickwork. I did the same with the chimney.


The remaining area was covered in a thin layer of filler to create texture. The paints were applied in the following patterns:

Roof: Thin wash of black to create modulation then over brush in a dark grey.

Brickwork: Primed black, dry brush red, overbrush brown, dry brush beige, dry brush cream.

Render: Primed black, overbrush dark grey, dry brush beige, dry brush cream.

So that is what can be done with these models. I think they could do with a touch more detail around openings as well as doors. I also feel that £15 a pop is a touch steep although the simpleness allows you to model them as you wish.

Next month I may be buying a larger building such as a church so I'll endeavour to do a step by step on that. I will also take a quick shot of all of the terrain I now have for this scale and open it up to see what else people think. I am also open to do further reviews if anyone has anything they are particularly interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment